Less than a month after Police had confirmed that Bosco Mbusa Bwambale, 36 one of the detained royal guards of Rwenzururu King Charles Wesley Mumbere had succumbed to the injuries he sustained during the fight at the king’s palace on November 27, another guard has reported passed on under unclear circumstances.
TheUgandan has been informed by the embattled Kingdom’s spokesperson Clarence Bwambale that that 65-year-old Yosam Bagheni, a resident of Kyabalangira village in Kyabalangira sub-county died this morning at Jinja Referral Hospital.
Bagheni was one of the 159 suspects charged jointly with Rwezururu King Charles Wesley Mumbere with treason, murder, terrorism and aggravated robbery, crimes allegedly committed in Kasese district late last year.
He was on remand at Kirinya Government Prison has died. Unconfirmed reports say that the deceased died of malaria although kingdom officials have refuted the claims, calling for independent postmortem report.
Bwambale says the body of the deceased is still at the Jinja hospital mortuary.
Uganda Prison spokesperson, Mr Frank Baine confirmed the development sayiing the Bagheni had died after suffering from cerebral malaria and Meningitis but deceased’s lawyers recently told court that their clients had been subjected to rough treatment by police while in detention, and that many of them have been wounded.
Caleb Alaka, the lead lawyer said: “Most of them (detained royal guards) are detained in torture chambers by Police. They (Police) claim they are in hospital for medication but there is no document to show that.”
It was not immediately clear how many of the other detained royal guards are in critical condition, but a statement by Lt Col Paddy Ankunda, the Defence and army spokesperson, last month suggested a considerable number of injuries among the guards.